June 19, 2012
Summer is almost here! Spring cleaning is over, school’s almost out, and vacation planning is in full swing. But In the middle of all this excitement and warmer weather, you may be forgetting something important… prepping your car for the scorching sun. And that means more than using windshield reflectors.
Tips for Summer Vehicle Care and Maintenance
While many people remember to winterize their vehicles, it’s easy to forget about summer. The best place to start is from the ground up, with your tires:
- Still on Snow Patrol? Do you still have your snow tires on? It’s high time to switch them out for summer, performance, or all-season tires for better fuel efficiency.
- Under Pressure: In extreme temperatures, it’s best to checking tire pressure more often. Air expands in heat, and can leak out or pop the tire. You should regularly be checking your tire pressure at least once a month, but keep an extra eye on it the heat of the summer. Don’t just rely on your car’s built-in warning gauge for dangerously low levels. Always fill to the recommended PSI.
- Don’t Tread On Me: Now is the perfect time to check your tire tread. Use the penny test: Try to bury a penny in the thinnest groove, headfirst, and if you can still see the head, it’s time for new tires.
Staying on top of your tires helps for a smoother, safer, more fuel-efficient drive.
Speaking of tires, it’s always best to get your alignment checked (recommended for every 15,000 miles) and wheels balanced when rotating or installing new tires. Rotating your tires helps them wear evenly and last longer. Alignment service not only improves driveability, but also boosts gas mileage, prolongs the life of suspension parts, and helps reduce risk of damage to the car.
It’s that time again. You may have recently received a kind letter in the mail from your favorite friendly DMV reminding you to get your vehicle emissions tested.
- Well, bring it on in, as we provide services for emissions. We can also take care of Maryland State Inspections for you, too.
- If your muffler is making noise or if your exhaust system has a bad cough, we’ll perform any necessary updates or repairs. It’s better for your car, and the environment, too.
- Our Fuel Motorvac Service helps cut down emissions while pumping up performance and gas mileage. Recommended for servicing every 2 years or 30K miles, it involves cleaning your throttle body area, intake manifold and valves, fuel injectors, tank fuel filter, fuel rail, supply lines, and more.
Nothing is more embarrassing than a screeching air conditioner. Or sweat stains. Stay cool and comfortable in your car with an A/C that runs well. If yours is leaking or under-performing, bring it in for repairs and a fluid check.
Speaking of staying cool, make sure your car doesn’t overheat and stall out with a check-up on your coolant, oil, and fluids. We perform complete cooling system service. If you’re already experiencing heat-related problems, we can take a look under the hood and perform any necessary repairs to the radiator or engine.
If it ain’t broke, make sure it doesn’t. Preventive care is all about helping your car live longer and reducing the risk and likelihood of expensive car problems.
- Tune-Ups & Oil Changes: Sun tanning oil isn’t the only oil that’s important this summer. Regular tune-ups, and oil changes every 3,000 miles boosts gas mileage, prevents wear and tear, and sidesteps high usage issues.
- Get Some Fresh Air. Swapping out a dirty air filter for a clean one also helps your engine run up to snuff and saves you gas on those long trips.
- Let the Sun In. Pollen, bugs, and rain are more abundant with the warmer weather, so make sure your wiper blades are working correctly. Sometimes, wipers can get brittle and crack from the cold of the winter.
Better Reliability = Better Relaxation
Improving your vehicle’s dependability will let you have more fun in the sun on your vacation or roadtrip. Bring it in to Hillmuth, and we’ll get your vehicle ready to beat the heat.