May 16, 2018
Road trips are a blast for the whole family. With proper planning before you head out on your journey you can ensure your safety and the safety of everyone traveling with you.
For starters, here is an ultimate road trip safety checklist to help:
- Clean the inside of your car so riders will be comfortable, and packed items have plenty of room to be stored.
- If more than one person is scheduled to drive, plan out specific destinations along the way for drivers to switch places. This also creates a planned food and bathroom break.
- Pack an emergency kit. Some good items to include are: a flashlight, blankets, tool kit, band aids, bottled water, non-perishable snacks, jumper cables, road flares, and a deck of cards.
- Get a good night’s sleep so you are well rested and alert for the drive.
- Check your car’s load capacity to ensure you don’t pack more than your vehicle can handle.
- Designate someone to help the driver navigate, or set up audible GPS navigation.
- If you’re traveling with kids, make sure they have plenty of things to keep them happy and occupied: snacks, juice boxes, tablets, music players, books, or small toys.
- Bring a hands-free headset or let someone else handle your calls and/or texts while you’re driving to reduce the risk of an accident.
- Have child car seats inspected to ensure they are installed safely and securely.
- Make sure your car battery is charged or bring a back-up battery.
- Have your vehicle inspected before the trip by your regular mechanic to ensure it is road-worthy—and be sure to let them know you’re about to go on a long road trip.
One of the most important things you can do before trusting your vehicle to keep you and your family safe on a long trip is to have it looked at by a vehicle by a professional. A vehicle repair expert will perform a thorough inspection of your car to make sure all of its parts are in working order before your trip. Taking a vehicle on a road trip without making sure it’s in great health first puts everyone at risk – both yourselves and other drivers you may encounter on the road.
Prevent vehicle troubles before you go and call your local auto care center!
Hillmuth Auto Care is a Maryland vehicle service center dedicated to keeping our customers safe on the road no matter their destination. For more information about our services or to schedule an appointment for routine maintenance, contact us today!